How to review your attendance policy
Use our list of questions to help you review your school or trust's attendance policy. Read our model policy to see what good looks like, and get examples from different types of schools.
Key points to look out for
As this policy isn't statutory, its contents can vary.
We've suggested what you might find in an attendance policy based on the Department for Education's (DfE's) guidance on working together to improve school attendance and the statutory guidance on school attendance parental responsibility measures.
Clear aims and objectives of the policy
Your school's policy should set out exactly what it aims to do.
- Promoting good attendance
- Reducing absences, including persistent absence
- Making sure every pupil has access to full-time education
- Acting early to address patterns of absence
- Building strong relationships with families to make sure pupils have the support in place to attend school
Roles and responsibilities should be defined
Promoting the importance of school attendance across the school’s policies and ethos Making sure school leaders fulfil expectations and statutory duties Regularly reviewing and challenging