You are here:

Business rates: academies

Ref: 31805
Last updated on 21 February 2017
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
How much business rate relief do academies receive? We explain that academies claim the 80% mandatory business rate relief from the local authority and look at examples of rate relief arrangements. We also look at how academies can claim the remaining 20%.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.10 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your governing body. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school governors access to:

  • More than a thousand online articles, with information and resources to help governors get to grips with their role
  • Policy bank from schools and other organisations
  • Downloadable template forms and reports, and planners
  • Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
  • Pre-inspection resources, including questions that inspectors may ask
  • A weekly News Briefing

Contents

  1. 1 Local councils administer rates relief
  2. 2 Special academies are not automatically exempt
  3. 3 Claiming relief from your LA
  4. 4 Claiming funding from the EFA

Article features

  • 7 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.