You are here:

Funding for pupils with SEN: FAQs

Ref: 31145
Last updated on 11 August 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
This article addresses FAQs about funding for pupils with special educational needs (SEN). It looks at who should fund education, health and care (EHC) assessments, whether academies can access SEN services from the local authority (LA), and what happens when a school spends over its notional SEN budget.

Article tools

Want to read more?

To read this article in full, sign up for a free trial of The Key.

Membership starts from £1.10 per day and includes an unlimited number of logins for all of your governing body. If you join today, we'll also waive the £100 joining fee.

Membership gives school governors access to:

  • More than a thousand online articles, with information and resources to help governors get to grips with their role
  • Policy bank from schools and other organisations
  • Downloadable template forms and reports, and planners
  • Our unlimited 'Ask the expert' service
  • Pre-inspection resources, including questions that inspectors may ask
  • A weekly News Briefing


  1. 1 Is there extra funding for SEN if we spend over our notional SEN budget?
  2. 2 Can we use the notional SEN budget to fund staffing costs?
  3. 3 Can academies access SEN services from the LA?
  4. 4 Should the school fund EHC assessments if the parents request it?
  5. 5 Do schools spend more money on SEN than they receive from the LA?

Article features

  • 10 external links

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.