megaphone icon updated on 4 August 2022
School types: All · School phases: All
Ref: 34186

Get advice on what to do if parents don't co-operate with a suspension (fixed-term exclusion) or permanent exclusion, or behave in an unacceptable way during the process.

If your school can't get in touch with parents

Schools must notify parents of suspensions (formerly fixed-term exclusions) or permanent exclusions 'without delay', under the suspensions and permanent exclusions guidance (see paragraph 62).

The guidance says that schools should notify parents in person or by phone in the first instance, as this will allow parents to ask questions (see paragraph 72). Your school should maintain correct and up-to-date phone numbers for parents so that they're able to do this. 

Sometimes parents can't be reached despite the school's best efforts. The education services team at Haringey Council gave us the following advice on what to do if this happens.

However, depending on the