You are here:

Last updated on 17 May 2017
Ref: 4288
School types: All · School phases: All

Who decides whether a school should take on an additional class? We look at the rules on increases to the published admission number (PAN) for community and voluntary controlled schools and schools that are their own admission authorities.

Article tools


  1. Accepting a 'bulge class'
  2. Appealing against a decision on the PAN

More from The Key

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.