Top-slicing vs GAG pooling: financial models in multi-academy trusts (MATs)

Understand what it means to top-slice or GAG pool budgets and to pool reserves, and how trustees can make an informed decision. Find out about the rules and what pros and cons to consider, as well as questions to ask.

Last reviewed on 9 April 2024See updates
School types: AllSchool phases: AllRef: 31322
  1. The difference between top-slicing and GAG pooling
  2. Trusts use these funds to provide services centrally
  3. The rules
  4. Pros, cons and important considerations
  5. Trustees' role
  6. Questions for trustees to ask
  7. Local governing bodies' role
  8. Pooling reserves
  9. Example policies from trusts

The difference between top-slicing and GAG pooling


This is when a trust collects a proportion of each school’s budget, or general annual grant (GAG), to fund central services. The schools within the trust keep most of their own GAG funding.

Some trusts set a flat-rate contribution. Some have a variable top-slice, taking into account factors such as phase, pupil numbers or performance data with the intention that each school pays according to the level of support it'll need from the trust.

See examples at the end of this article.

GAG pooling 

This is when the trust holds the GAG from all schools centrally, and delegates smaller amounts of funding to each school for it to control. The idea is that schools will need smaller individual budgets as the trust provides many services centrally.

See examples at the end of this article. 

A diagram showing money flowing from schools to the trust in top slicing, and from trust to schools in GAG pooling
Image source: The Key

Trusts use these funds to provide services centrally

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.