You are here:

Relationship between academies and the local authority

Ref: 4910
updated on 28 November 2018
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
What powers do local authorities have over academies? Although academies are independent from local authority (LA) control, LAs have some statutory duties that affect academies. This article discusses those duties and looks at how academy governors can respond to problems with the LA.

Article tools


  1. 1 Academies are independent from LA control
  2. 2 Safeguarding
  3. 3 SEN
  4. 4 Admissions
  5. 5 Exclusions
  6. 6 Performance
  7. 7 Can LAs require academies to expand?
  8. 8 How can academy governors resolve a problem with the LA?

More from The Key

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.