You are here:

Becoming an alternative provision academy or free school

Ref: 30428
Last updated on 18 April 2017
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
Can pupil referral units (PRUs) convert to academy status? PRUs may convert to academy status. Once converted, they are known as alternative provision (AP) academies. We link to guidance from the DfE on the conversion process and examples of AP academies from across the country.

Article tools


  1. 1 PRUs can convert to alternative provision academies
  2. 2 The conversion process
  3. 3 Examples of alternative provision academies

More from The Key

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.