You are here:

Church schools and academy conversion: role of the diocese

Ref: 5438
Last updated on 16 September 2016
School types: All · School phases: All
In-depth article
Can a diocese require a church school to convert? Only regional schools commissioners and the secretary of state can issue academy orders. We also look at whether church schools who wish to convert must do so as part of the diocesan MAT.

Article tools


  1. 1 Can a diocese force a church school to convert?
  2. 2 Pressure to academise: expert advice
  3. 3 Must schools choosing to convert join the diocesan MAT?
  4. 4 Some dioceses restrict voluntary schools from joining other MATs

Article features

  • 7 external links

More from The Key

The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence.